PRINCE2 Foundation - PRINCE2® (Projects IN Controlled Environments) is a process-based approach for project management providing an easily tailored and scalable method for the management of all types of projects. The method is the de-facto standard for project management in the UK and is practiced worldwide. In addition, PRINCE2 provides business case driven project management, excellent governance control and ready to use templates.
The Foundation course is a 3-day course with 1 hour closed book multiple choice examination on the third day. Participants are eligible to claim 21 PMI PDUs upon attending this course.
The key objectives of PRINCE2 Foundation 3-day course are:
- Understand the PRINCE2 method at Foundation level
- Understand the integrated elements of PRINCE2 (principles, processes, themes and tailoring) within a work environment
- Understand the benefits and principles underlying a structured approach to project management
- Help delegates to operate effectively with colleagues and managers within a structured project management environment
- This course is intended for organizations and individuals who seek to understand how PRINCE2 controlled approach in managing project to deliver result to the project stakeholders. This course is suitable for project managers, team managers, project support, assurance staff and managers from any discipline.
- The PRINCE2® method is flexible and adaptable for any type and size of project, and offers an excellent management foundation for any member of staff.
The 3-day course covers the Foundation syllabus and includes the following focus areas:
- Structured Approach to Managing Projects - Setting the scene for a structured approach to managing all projects; project success criteria; the model of the PRINCE2 method including the integrated elements of principles, processes, themes and tailoring.
- The Process-based Approach - PRINCE2 focuses on key processes needed for successful project management that must be present, but may be ‘tailored’ to reflect the complexity, scope and risks faced by the project. PRINCE2 Process Model will be used to help delegates understand and appreciate what should be done to manage each project, why it should be done and when in the project lifecycle.
- Business Case - What is a Business Case; Outcomes, Outputs, Benefits and Dis-benefits; Developing, Verifying and Maintaining the Business Case; Confirming the benefits and the Benefits Review Plan.
- Organization - Project Management Team Structure and the Project Board, Project Assurance, Project Manager, Team Manager, Change Authority and Project Support roles & responsibilities. Stakeholder management; Communication Management Strategy.
- Project Planning - Levels and content of Plans; Exception Plans; Product-based approach to planning – Project Product Description, Product Breakdown Structure, Product Description, Product Flow Diagram; the PRINCE2 planning steps.
- Monitoring and Controlling Progress - Management and Technical Stages. Tolerance and Raising Exceptions. Project Board and Project Manager Controls for Reviewing and Reporting Progress; Baselines for Control; Capturing and Reporting Lessons; Event-driven and time-driven controls.
- Change and Configuration Management - Issue and Change Control procedure; Configuration Management procedure; Configuration Management Strategy; Baseline, Handling changes; Tracking and protecting products; Change Authority; Change Budget.
- Quality - Quality Defined, The Quality Audit Trial; Acceptance Criteria, Quality Criteria, Quality Management Strategy, Quality Assurance, Quality Controls and Quality Review technique.
- Risk - Risk and Risk Management; Risk Management in Projects; Risk Management Strategy; Risk Management Procedure; Risk Budget.
- There are no pre-requisites for the course and examination. However some experience and awareness of project work would be advantageous.
Prince2 Foundation Examination Format
- Multiple choice questions
- 60 questions per paper
- 33 marks required (out of 60 available) to pass: 55%
- One hour's (60 minutes) duration
- Closed book