Module 1: Introduction to Database Development
This module introduces database development and the key tasks that a database developer would typically perform.
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- SQL Server Database Development Tasks
Lab : Introduction to Database Development
Module 2: Designing and Implementing Tables
This module explains how to design, create, and alter tables. Also it focuses on working with schema.
- Designing Tables
- Data Types
- Working with Schemas
- Creating and Altering Tables
- Partitioning Data
- Compressing Data
Lab : Designing and Implementing Tables
Module 3: Ensuring Data Integrity through Constraints
This module explains how to enforce data integrity and implement domain integrity to maintain high quality data. Also it focuses on implementing Entity and Referential Integrity.
- Enforcing Data Integrity
- Implementing Domain Integrity
- Implementing Entity and Referential Integrity
Lab : Ensuring Data Integrity through Constraints
Module 4: Introduction to Indexing
This module describes the concept of an index and discusses selectivity, density and statistics. It covers appropriate data type choices and choices around composite index structures.
- Core Indexing Concepts
- Data Types and Indexes
- Single Column and Composite Indexes
Lab : Implementing Indexes
Module 5: Designing Optimized Index Strategies
This module explains covering indexes and the INCLUDE clause as well as the use of padding, hints and statistics. The module also covers the use of the Database Engine Tuning Advisor and index-related dynamic management views to assess indexing strategies.
- Covering Indexes
- Managing Indexes
- Working with Execution Plans
- Using the DTE
Lab : Designing Optimized Index Strategies
Module 6: Column store Indexes
This module explains columnstore indexes and how to use them to maximize the performance and scalability of database applications.
- Introduction to Columnstore indexes
- Creating Columnstore Indexes
- Working with Columnstore Indexes
Lab : Using Columnstore Indexes
Module 7: Designing and Implementing Views
This module introduces Views, and explains how to create and manage Views. Also it focuses on the performance consideration for Views.
- Introduction to Views
- Creating and Managing Views
- Performance Considerations for Views
Lab : Designing and Implementing Views
Module 8: Designing and Implementing Stored Procedures
This module describes the potential advantages of the use of stored procedures along with guidelines on creating them.
- Introduction to Stored Procedures
- Working With Stored Procedures
- Implementing Parameterized Stored Procedures
- Controlling Execution Context
Lab : Designing and Implementing Stored Procedures
Module 9: Designing and Implementing User-Defined Functions
This module explains how to design and implement user-defined functions that enforce business rules or data consistency, and modify and maintain existing functions written by other developers.
- Overview of Functions
- Designing and Implementing Scalar Functions
- Designing and Implementing Table-Valued Functions
- Implementation Considerations for Functions
- Alternatives to Functions
Lab : Designing and Implementing User-Defined Functions
Module 10: Responding to Data Manipulation via Triggers
This module, explains what DML triggers are and how they enforce data integrity. Also it focusses on the different types of triggers available, and how to define triggers in a database.
- Designing DML Triggers
- Implementing DML Triggers
- Advanced Trigger Concepts
Lab : Responding to Data Manipulation via Triggers
Module 11: Using In-Memory Tables
This module covers the creation of in-memory tables and native stored procedures and discusses the advantages and disadvantages of using in-memory tables.
- In-Memory Tables
- Native Stored Procedures
Lab : In-Memory OLTP
Module 12: Implementing Managed Code in SQL Server 2014
This module explains how to use CLR integrated code to create user-defined database objects that are managed by the .NET Framework.
- Introduction to SQL CLR Integration
- Importing and Configuring Assemblies
- Implementing SQL CLR Integration
Lab : Implementing Managed Code in SQL Server 2014
Module 13: Storing and Querying XML Data in SQL Server
This module introduces XML and shows how XML data can be stored within SQL Server and then queried, including queries written in a language called XQuery.
- Introduction to XML and XML Schemas
- Storing XML Data and Schemas in SQL Server
- Implementing the XML Data Type
- Using the T-SQL FOR XML Statement
- Getting Started with XQuery
Lab : Storing and Querying XML Data in SQL Server 2014
Module 14: Working with SQL Server 2014 Spatial Data
This module introduces Spatial Data, and explains how to work with SQL Server Spatial Data Types.
- Introduction to Spatial Data
- Working with SQL Server Spatial Data Types
- Using Spatial Data in Applications
Lab : Working with SQL Server Spatial Data
Module 15: Incorporating Data Files into Databases Lessons
- Querying Data with Stored Procedures
- Implementing FILESTREAM and File Tables
- Searching Data Files
Lab : Implementing a Solution for Storing Data Files