The Service Strategy (SS) certification is one of five ITIL® Service Lifecycle modules and provides you with the guidance that enables you to design, develop, and implement service provider strategy that aligns to the organizational strategy.
The SS module focuses on the importance of the strategic aspect of services within the IT service lifecycle. It provides the specific knowledge and techniques to help you demonstrate that you understand the risks and success factors and have the skills to develop and progress strategy within an organization or programme.
The course covers management and control of activities and techniques that are documented in the ITIL Service Strategy publication, but it does not provide the full detail of each supporting process. More information about these processes can be found in the Service Offering and Agreements module from the Service Capability work stream.
The strategic aspects of a service should not be underestimated. Adopting service strategy techniques and principles can help organizations ensure that their IT teams are aligned with the business as a whole and are not just focused on technical concerns. This can enable better communication within an organization resulting in smoother and swifter development of new or updated products and services.
The SS module offers the same benefits to individuals who will be better able to understand the relationship between the IT and general aspects of their work and to appreciate how the ITIL best practice framework can help them work more efficiently.
Candidates can expect to gain competencies in the following upon successful completion of the education and examination components related to this certification:
- Introduction to service strategy
- Service strategy principles
- Service strategy processes
- Organizing for service strategy
- Technology considerations
- Implementing service strategy
- Challenges, critical success factors and risks.
- Module 1: Introduction to service strategy
- Module 2: Service strategy principles
- Module 3: Service strategy processes
- Module 4: Governance
- Module 5: Organizing for service strategy
- Module 6: Technology considerations
- Module 7: Implementing service strategy
- Module 8: Challenges, critical success factors and risks
The main target candidate for the ITIL Intermediate Qualification: Service Strategy Certificate includes, but is not restricted to:
- Chief information officers (CIOs)
- Chief technology officers (CTOs)
- Supervisory staff
- Team leaders
- Service designers
- IT architects
- IT planners
- IT consultants
- IT audit managers
- IT security managers
- ITSM trainers involved in the on-going management, co-ordination and integration of strategizing activities within the service lifecycle
- Individuals who require a deeper understanding of the ITIL service strategy stage of the ITIL service lifecycle and how activities in it may be implemented to enhance the quality of IT service management within an organization
- IT professionals working in roles associated with strategic planning, execution and control within a service-based business model, seeking an understanding of the concepts, processes, functions and activities involved in service strategy
- Individuals who have attained the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management and wish to advance to higher level ITIL certifications
- Individuals seeking the ITIL Expert Certification in IT Service Management for which this qualification can be one of the prerequisite modules
- Individuals seeking progress toward the ITIL Master Certificate in IT Service Management for which the ITIL Expert is a prerequisite.
Candidates wishing to be trained and examined for this qualification must already hold the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management which must be presented as documentary evidence to gain admission
Candidates who hold the following ITIL qualifications are also eligible, and similar evidence will be required:
- Earlier ITIL (V2) Foundation plus Foundation Bridge
- ITIL Expert Certificate in IT Service Management (achieved via Service Manager or Practitioner bridging routes).
Show Schedule for: